12.26.2006

Merry Christmas You Filthy Animal

So yesterday was Christmas. It was a good day. This past semester I've started to critically think more, and I have a few thoughts on Christmas. It just seems we are taking Jesus out of the equation more and more. I'm not just talking about non-believers. I'm talking about Christians too, including me. We get so caught up in the busyness of the season and forget what its all really about. At the same time we are wasting money on too much stuff. I understand we like to get things that will tell people we love and care for them, but spending hundreds of dollars on someone is ridiculous. We need to learn to become better stewards of our money. This year I tried to buy gifts that did not only benefit the recipient but also someone else. I got my dad a pair of TOMS shoes, which matches every pair bought and gives a pair to a child in need in Argentina. I bought a (product) red GAP shirt, which sends some of the profit made on the shirt to the Global Fund. I don't know. I just think we have a lot to work on during this season to focus more on what it is about. Most of the pictures are at my aunt's house and the Mexican kids are my cousins.










1 comment:

jules said...

i completely agree, and im just going to tell you about it since you dont have a plethora of people that comment. this year at our church's christmas eve service, i sat next to my friend's family and none of them are believers. i have never listened so closely to the pastor's sermon. normally on christmas eve, i am not particularly attentive because i have heard most of it before. and that is how i act towards most aspects of Christmas that involve Christ. I know the routine. there are always moments where i am focused on him. but i dont have him constantly on my mind, unlike the "Christmas Spirit" that is evoked by lights, trees, music, and to a lesser degree, the presents. but that feeling is constantly on my mind.
so now ive recognized the problem, im just not quite positive how to change it. obviously, its a lifestyle issue more than a Christmas issue but yeah...
ps. i like the picutres. your cousins and sister are adorable.