12.30.2007

Middle Eastern Winter: Day 18?

I'm guessing at the day now. I don't even really care, but for the sake of continuity I decided to keep the day going.

+++++++++++++


Things I've forgotten to mention:
-I have become the master at sleeping while traveling. Whether in a plane, crowded Egyptian bus, ferry, taxi, or car. Just count on me. Time goes by so fast when you're sleeping.
-Multiple people have thought I'm Jordanian or Muslim or both. I guess the beard is doing its job. The pastor of the Arabic church asked me in Arabic if I was Jordanian. When I gave him the "I don't have a clue what you're talking about look," he asked in English where I was from. I think in the bathroom at the cafe a guy was talking to me. He kept looking at me, but I didn't understand so I smiled like I knew what he was talking about. I probably fooled him. I'm that good.

+++++++++++++


Today we went to an Arabic speaking church. It was our second time going there. The first time was pretty good. Today was alright. I think its better than the international church we went to. From my experience, I'm not a huge fan of international churches. There are just weird dynamics.

After church, we came home and Sue (Sam's mom) made some spaghetti for lunch. That was good. While she was preparing it, I got some good reading done. I also set some time aside to listen to music. I've needed just to relax and listen to some tunes. It was nice to do so.

Also, it was Bruce's (Sam's dad) birthday today. The funny thing is Sue never remembers his birthday. So, it only took her until 4 pm to remember today was the day. The Cannons have some funny stories about her forgetting. I'm just glad I had the opportunity to witness it myself. Once she finally remembered, we could talk about it out loud. To celebrate, we went to Fudruckers. Yep, Fudruckers. I got a delicious buffalo crispy chicken sandwhich. Yum. After we went and got some sweets, but we were saddened to find that there was no more baklava in the store. So we settled with some other stuff.

I've failed to mention that we've been playing a lot of Scrabble and Boggle. Bruce loves playing. And he's glad that we actually give him competition. Sue doesn't apparently. In honor of the birthday boy, we played a good deal tonight. Too bad I had to beat him in Scrabble.

We've only got a week left and then back to the States and back to school. I'm kind of excited for this upcoming semester. I think I'm going to learn a lot. What I'm not looking forward to, though, are the flights home. If they ask for people to stay behind in Istanbul we already said we're doing that. Maybe I'll be home when school starts. Maybe not. Probably will though, if we're being honest. And I heard thats the best policy.

+++++++++++++


2 comments:

trevor van meter said...

u should write a book or something, well maybe a picture book, cuz this is really fun to read.. the best part is that they are starting to think you are a native, hah, thats awesome... and ur movie store friend, thats pretty sweet too.. it kinda sounds like a movie, an unreal story of americans in foreign countries, but its cool.. hope u continue enjoying the rest of ur trip...

Jenni said...

JP you better get on a plane home! ha Have fun in these last days. We will have to get together when you get back to hear stories and see pictures.