5.01.2008

The Double Standard of Purity

This insight entered my mind a little while ago.
Here's the scenario. I'm sure many guys have been in it....

You're watching a movie or a TV show with at least one girl. A sexually provocative scene comes on. Girl puts her hand over your eyes. You try to put your hand over the girl's eyes (at least I'll try to do this). Girl responds with, "Its okay. Girls aren't like guys with stuff like this" and girl removes your hand. Scene finishes and girl lowers her hand from your eyes.

At first reading, you might think there is nothing wrong in this scenario. The girl is simply trying to help her brother in Christ out. I do appreciate that very much. I am very glad I have girl friends that are worried about my purity.

The problem I come across is when the girl removes my hand from her eyes. She may not, as she says, be affected by the scene that a guy would. She might not be tempted to think or act lustfully because of the scene but thats not the point. The problem is that the girl falsely believes she is fine watching the scene because it is not a temptation to her. However, I believe by allowing herself to watch the scene, it compromises her purity just as much as it would mine if I were to watch the scene. She is letting herself see things that she should not see or experience until marriage. Thus, a part of her purity is stripped away. She now has insights to the sexuality that have not come through being with her husband but rather another medium. I have said all that to say, girls guard your purity just as much as you would want your guy friends purity to be protected.


In other news. I started following C.J. Mahaney's blog. He has a series of posts going about modesty, which are quite insightful.

Go here for his first post.
And you can go here for his second post.
Oh, and here for the third.
And lastly, here for his most recent post.

Check it out.

6 comments:

abc said...

wow that's a really good point, jeremy! i think what you are saying is very true. thanks for sharing.

hope you're doing good. (:
eryn

escamillaweddings said...

indeed.

not to mention the fact that the girl's response in your example is incorrect. there are a number of girls (myself included) who wired similarly to guys and thus have a greater struggle with visuals, etc.

good insight, my friend.

Sarah Faith said...

ahh so starbucks is trying to be ahead of the times and have the upper hand over the competition. just in case, you know, the earth loses all its gravitational pull and we are all sucked out into the abyss of space, in which case where to plug in our laptops will be the least of our concerns.
way to think ahead, Starbucks.

Justin Blomgren said...

I agree...and Mahaney is one of my heros

janelle said...

super insightful. thanks for the links to the soveriegngrace blogs. definitely challenging and i am now hooked. thanks jer. you're great!

RobinDayle said...

You are so great JerBear.
I am thankful for guys like YOU.